Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Contemplations for Today

Well this is it, feeling inspired to begin a real blog. We'll see how it goes.

There's actually a lot on my mind right now. I just finished talking to one of the girls I have been mentoring from The Connection, the youth group at my church that I have been so blessed to be able to be a part of and help lead this generation. That is so much where my heart is at. Leah and I met at a girl's sleepover at our Dani's house- our youth pastor's wife. We stayed up literally all night with a conversation that only God himself could have orchestrated. I am amazed at where that conversation has brought us both today.

I am so proud of the steps she has taken in her life since that night. I remember her very blatantly telling me that she didn't want to be labeled as a Christian because she didn't think you need a label to believe. Although I do somewhat agree there, I told her that the reason why I take that label is because Jesus was real, He was a revolutionist and changed the world. He is continuing  to change the world over 2,000 years later, and I for one want to be a part of that. Taking a label meant to be bold enough to stand up for what you believe and to let your life back it up. As she put it later in her own words, "You don't really need a title to be who you are, but it is when you give yourself a title and stand up for it and your beliefs that you can look back and not be ashamed, but smile with elation. No title is needed to be strong, to know who you are, but it IS one, public way of saying to others, 'I know who I am.' " 

I'm blown away constantly by her wisdom at such a young age, seems like she is an example of 1 Timothy 4:12, "Let no one despise or think less of you because of your youth, but be an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity."
Leah and I after her baptism 5/31/2011

I was reminded of that today as she expressed her new found joy in life since that night. She finally made that decision to follow Jesus after that night, to bear His name, and she got baptized a few weeks ago. Some very bold steps of faith in walking out this life dedicated to Christ. I couldn't be more proud of her. In fact the reason why I am writing this is because I have been blown away in these past 24 hours at the ways God has been moving in this situation. Leah has been impacting so many lives around her, so many of her friends at school have since come to The Connection and made life changes too. I had a very heartfelt talk with one of them last night after talking with another close friend of mine about the doubts of how God uses me. Then I talked with Leah about laying down ourselves to know God... her brilliant 15 year old mind and loving artistic heart was a true gift from God! She seems to understand so clearly. It's such a blessing to know her and see God's power at work in and through her. God is so faithful to keep drawing us in to Him. Thank you Leah for being a reminder of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment